Monday, October 05, 2009

Great News for Us!!!!

We have 2 items of great news:

1. We officially have our husband/daddy back. Yeah for 3rd year dentistry! We actually get to see and spend time with Steve when he is done with school for a few hours almost every night. It is WONDERFUL. I'm so glad my husband is not a doctor or we would still be enduring the hard part...hats off to all you medical student's wives.

2. We got a scholarship from the National Health Service Corps! We got a "congrats" letter today. So what does that mean? It means we pay nothing at all for our last 2 years of dental school, PLUS they give us $1200 a month to live off of. In return, we have to commit to live/work in 1 of the medically underprivileged communities for 2 years. But there are at least a hundred cities to choose from. It is sort of like the military, except I don't have to worry about being separated from my husband or worry about him being in the middle east. It is SAFE and we are TOGETHER which is all I care about. Yippee! We are very excited. So far, cities that look interesting to us include Bakersfield CA and Medford Oregon....but I guess we still have 2 years to decide and their might be other options by then.

12 comments:

Christa said...

Congrats! We looked into both Bakersfield and Medford in our job search. I'd pick Medford. A friend from CA called Bakersfield "the armpit of California". She said the pollution there is terrible. But Medford looks nice-- just kind of out of the way. Eventually I hope you are wherever we end up!

Gramps said...

Sounds like a deal....they pay for 2 years, you serve for 2 years, but still get paid. Good work Steve!

Ali said...

Hey, that's so great! Congratulations! And yea for having him back. It's a good year, even with a lot of lab work!

Porter's said...

ya, i think bakersfield is kinda gross. but that sounds like an awesome scholarship. ya, it's super nice not having any debt and having a stipend :) and as long as sonny sticks with specializing, he's chance of being deployed are so small that i don't worry about it much. but you get that protection without more schooling. right on! hey, are you guys going to be in cali or utah for christmas? we're coming down to cali, maybe we can see you if you are there :)

Heidi said...

It's so nice when they don't have their heads in books as soon as they get home! Exciting news for you guys!

LyndiLou said...

Wow!!! Cambrie that's AWESOME!!! I haven't heard of the Health Service Corps... how great! What a great blessing! :) I'm happy for you guys!

Meg said...

Hooray! It will be fun to see where you guys decide to live. Congratulations.

Ashley said...

Oh my that is so very exciting for you guys! How wonderful to have a little tiny bit of cushion rather than a financial noose around your neck.

Lindy said...

YAH!!! That is so wonderful for you guys!!!....pick somewhere either close to cardston alberta or close to victoria bc, and we're sure to visit you a lot in those two years....yah, I'm sure you won't plan your future around me, but I had to suggest it anyway.

Tobler Bunch said...

Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your blog. I am an old friend of Scott (Steve's Big brother). Maybe he remembers me. But anyhow, Congratulations on your great news. It'll all be worth it sooner than later. Say hello to Scott for me.

Andrea and Terrance said...

Congrats!! Oregon is beautiful--that is where Terrance would like us to end up because that's where he grew up.

Hope you guys are feeling better.

Nebraska Nelsons said...

Come to Oregon!!!!!!!