Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Homeless


Driving around lately I've seen a lot of homeless people with signs asking for help. I am always hesitant to give money to these people because I don't want to support drug habbits. I have seen a homeless person throw an apple that someone gave to him (obviously he wasn't interested in money for food). I do know however that there are homeless who truely need help and so I should respond to their requests in the chance that they do truely need it. The question I pose for you all though is: how? I won't give them $ because I don't want them to buy beer, I would give them a resturant gift card (like subway-- I could just keep gift cards in my car) but they don't have cars so they might not be able to get there if it is far away. So what about having little "homeless people kits" in my car with food-- but it would have to be food that will keep a log time and yet include all food groups(crackers, raisins, canned tuna?). None of these ideas seem very good though...so I"m asking for any suggestions.

5 comments:

Benji said...

We've thought about keeping McDonald's job applications in our glove box.

Anonymous said...

a shoe box with a few items in it, crackers, a fruit cup, peanut butter and a bottle of water. Also "pop-top" cans are good since they probably don't have can openers. Also you could have a package of granola bars and just give them one, not a whole meal but at least something to know you helped them out a bit.

good luck. ~Pica

megan said...

We had a friend suggest keeping granola bars. We are yet to try it, but it seems easy enough. That way if they are hungry- they'll have food and it's easy to store in your car!

Lisa said...

Keep granola bars in the center console. And remember homeless organizaions in your giving.

Malesa said...

You are so nice Cambrie. I actually struggle with this every single day here in NYC. We live one block away from a homeless shelter and we have homeless people all over our neighborhood. Sometimes I give them something. Sometimes I don't. And sometimes I don't even make eye contact because I don't want them to ask. I want to acknowledge that they are people too with great value, but when the same person is at the top of the same subway stop you use 2-3 times a week for 4 years and always asks you for something, what do you do? I like the granola bar suggestions.