Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A clean house VS. loved and educated children

I doubt that when I near the end of this life I will look back and think, "I wish my house would have been cleaner". I do however think that there is a good chance that I will wish I spent more time with my children. I believe that is far more important to spend quality time with my children than it is to have a clutter-free house and the kitchen always spotless. While visiting my sister Christa and her family in Albuquerque, this was reienforced by watching her and her children. Below is a picture of Benjamin my 5-year old nephew (playing dress-ups with Kiera).

Benjamin will start kindergarten this fall but is already reading on a 2nd grade level. He can do math (including division), he plays the violin, he has a developing testimony from his mom reading to him directly from the scriptures every night, and he is a very happy child. Christa obviously makes quality individual time for him every day (as she does with her 2 younger boys). Her house isn't clutter-free, nor are the dishes always done immideately after the meal (although I'm sure she would love it if it was spotless like in the pre-children days) but these few short years of having young children will pass and someday she will once again have a clean(er) house. But her boys will be smart, confident, and feel loved because of the great beginning that she gave them.
I must insist on having a sanitary house (clean bathrooms, mopped floors, etc.) for health reasons, but if you drop in on us in the near future, expect to be tripping over toys and find dirty dishes in the sink.

5 comments:

Stevo said...

does this mean I don't have to have the house clean by the time you come back tomorrow:)?

Gramps said...

I've learned if the house isn't clean when they return, we're in the doghouse so cleanliness isn't an issue.

anderson.fam said...

I don't think it's a VS issue. I think you can have a clean home and educated, loved children. Cleaning is an important lesson for all kids to learn. It's all about balance of time and priorities. I have my housework organized on a day-to-day basis, so it's not too overwhelming. And I love a clean home!
Clutter personally drives me crazy in a small space, so the kids and I work together to clean up. I think it's the best of both worlds. My opinion.

Anonymous said...

I think that it is a personal choice. I think that children should always come first...but if your home is a complete mess, then it is hard for anything "quality" to be done. So, I guess a balance is what we should all be striving for! At least that is what I try to do.

Cambrienelson said...

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I agree with Team Anderson to some degree. It is important to teach kids to clean and it is part of spending time with them. I make sure Kiera helps clean up all of the toys before bedtime. But on those days where life is crazy (like packing for a trip or something), and you have a half hour or so only to spare-- are you going to clean up the huge mess your kids have made while you were packing (and meanwhile ignoring their plees for you to play with them), or are you going to spend that time with them since they have been begging for you to take them to the park all day?