Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Food Storage Made Easy (Step 3)

(For anybody who cares)
I've been working on step 3 of my food storage for a while now. Step 3 is to get a 3 month supply of food. This should ideally be foods that we eat already so that we can rotate it and not have it spoiling. The website gives you a great excel worksheegt to use that you just plug in foods that you eat and the ingredients and it spits out how much you need to have on hand for a 3 month supply.


So the difficult part for me is deciding exactly which things to include on my 3 month menu. I'm actually going to do it for a month and a half and then double it. Oh, I'm going to have to buy a small freezer chest in order to store the frozen foods (meats, cheese, frozen veggies, etc). I'll be able to use a lot of my recipes that we already eat, but the trouble is that I'm finding a lot of them have dairy products such as cream cheese, ricotta or sour cream. I can't really keep a 3 month supply of that! So, I'm currently experimenting with new "food storage recipes" to see if they are Nelson-Family-Friendly before I add them to my list....so this might take a while.
Oh, so I plan on us actually eating food storage foods 4 days per week once I'm done. In planning my food storage I'm going to be including a lot of canned meats, veggies, and fruits since they are shelf stable. But, I figure I can actually EAT fresh products and then throw the can of beans into a "To-Be-Donated" box as if I had eaten it and buy more so I keep it rotating.

I have to say that I'm glad that I'm doing step 3 because it will be nice to have the security of knowing that no matter what happens, we will be able to eat for 3 months independently of anything and anyone (assuming that we have power). That will be peace of mind.

1 comment:

Gramps said...

You can easily make things like riocotta cheese from powdered milk...even old, out of date powdered milk (they whey - which is what goes bad - goes down the drain) Good job with the storage program!