Saturday, July 18, 2009

Goodbye Paci



After Lydia's 3rd ruptured eardrum in 2 months time I've decided that its time to get rid of the beloved paci. I've only really let her have it at bedtime, in the car, and too keep her quiet at church, but apparently that is enough to contribute to her ear infections. I dread doing it though as she is quite attached to it.

Sometimes I feel like my whole life is trying to wean a child from something. I'm just finishing potty training Kiera, I'm trying to get her to drink from a cup. I've been trying FOREVER to get her to drink straight water. I'm trying to get Lydia off the bottle (that will have to wait now). All of these thing make life difficult. I guess that is part of parenting!

Well, if you see Lydia at church with a paci in her mouth, don't judge me too harshly! This may be difficult!

4 comments:

Gramps said...

Ah the life of a mother. Hey...at least they aren't teenagers.

Heidi said...

How did she do at church? I didn't hear any crying. Hope she quickly forgets!

Lindy said...

I've never given my kids pacifiers and I had some reasons, but I was going to give in, so thanks for other reasons. You sound like a very good mom

Debbie said...

I just consulted with my resident ENT and he said he's not aware of any clinical evidence that paci's cause ear infections. So let her suck away. I depend heavily on them with my babies. It just makes life so much easier....now bottle feeding he said is a different story, especially if you lay them down at nap time with one. That could be a cause but I don't know if you do that or not. He also said to look into getting tubes in her ears. That would help with those recurrent ear infections which eventually could cause damage to her eardrum which isn't a good thing. Really, tubes in the ears is such a minor surgery but makes a WORLD of difference. I've had many friends say it's night and day difference with their babies before and after tubes. So for what that's worth...