Sunday, September 13, 2009

Prepping for food storage and interior decorating on a budget

Call me crazy but this is the newest addition to my kitchen (doesn't it make a great bar? All I need is barstools!) It is a deep freezer I bought from Lowes. I sold a few things I didn't need anymore off of craigslist and I took the plunge and made the major purchace. NOW I'm getting serious about food storage. Steve was quite sceptical about it, but I used the argument that a living prophet has asked us to get food storge starting with a 3 month supply of foods we eat. I guess I could be wrong, but I find it impossible to store 3 months worth of food that we regularly eat without a deep freezer. So, it was the PROPHET who wanted me to buy it.....how do you argue with that? : )

Other advantages are the fact that I can stock up on foods when they are on sale, and that I'll never have to run to the store for a single ingredient in order to cook something for dinner. Also, I plan on doubling all my dinner recipies for a while and freezing half of it so that I can have instant dinners on those crazy days... oh and I can also fill my freezers with dinners for times of life that are more difficult than others.....
I'd say I'm well on my way to achieving my 3 month supply. I now have all of the tools and plans I need to do it and now I just need to start stocking up.
One damper I've had on my food storge is Lydia being alergic to powered milk. I started using it to repace milk in all of my baked goods, but now I can't since Lydia is alergic to it. Too bad. I'll have a 3 month supply of food except for soymilk-- can't store that : (


I love to take UGLY discarded furniture and turn it into something attractive. My neighbors down the street were getting rid of 2 of these 70's looking cabnets with yellowish paint and brown windows. I volunteered to take them off their hands. I added some paint and fabric and (drum roll) I have a 2 beautiful pieces of furniture that I love to have in my bedroom. Most of the furniture in my house is furniture I found sitting by the side of the road with a sign that said "free" that I've resurrected with some paint and/or fabric. I guess it just helps me to feel like I'm doing real decorating (which I'd LOVE to do if we had $).


More of my decorating with fabric (it is CHEAP so I do it)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Costco sells boxes of shelf stable soymilk, but they do have to be refrigerated after opening.

You can also buy powdered soy milk at health food stores or online.

Good job getting your food storage up. I so wish we had an extra freezer at our house.

Debbie said...

I'm totally impressed with the cabinet! Nice work. I just don't have an eye for that stuff. And nice idea with the deep freeze...one day! I just don't have room for it now.

Christa said...

Wow! Great job on the cabinet!! I had to go back and forth several times before I was sure it was the same piece of furniture. Like the person before me said, I wish I had an eye for things like that. What you did wouldn't have occured to me in a thousand years! Freezers are great! Our mini-deep freezer ($50 on craigslist) is WONDERFUL!

Chad said...

Wow! And another WOW! I am very impressed. I like the idea of using cloth for picture frames. Much less expensive, and not fragile for moves. I think it could be the next big thing. You may want to set up a little business making & selling those cloth picture frames. Or license your idea to Erica, who is picking up sewing, so that we can do it.

I wish we had room for a deep freezer. Unfortunately, we need another house before we can do such a thing.

And I also like the cabinet. I would have left it on the side of the road, but you did make it look good. But again, we don't have room for anything in our house. Not until we move.

Erica said...

I am totally impressed. Great ideas! And great job with the cabinet. Like Christa, I had to take several double takes to see if it was the same cabinet. Amazing what you did with that. Were you born with that talent, or did you learn it somewhere? Very impressive!! Did you make Kiera's curtains too? I need to make some of those for Emmy's room.

Heidi said...

Can you come decorate my house??? I love the cabinet and your girls room!

Marilyn said...

Good job punkin! You should teach a class on "Provident Living-Home interiors!"

LyndiLou said...

NICE!!! Your decorating is awesome! I thought I just read somewhere that you said you weren't crafty... WRONG! You're great! :)