Monday, April 05, 2010

Reading at age 3



My sister Christa recommended this book to me. She used it to teach her son to read at age 3. I was worried it would be complicated, difficult to teach (and to learn) and that Kiera would hate it. Not so. Kiera is 3 and 5 months and she is reading stories such as "a little man sat in the sand. That man is sad. Will the sun go down?" We are only half way through the book. We have a 7-10 minute "reading lesson" almost every day since the book recommends keeping the lessons brief and fun at this age. It has been easy all of the way along. There are no difficult steps at all. Oh, and you can start a child doing it who doesn't even know their letter sounds. (The book only introduces 1 letter at a time-- we are currently only using about half of the letters in our lessons). As a reward after our lesson each day we have "Happy Kiera special time" and I give her my full 100% focused attention on any game she wants to play. Anyway, I recommend the book.

5 comments:

Gramps said...

Doesn't hurt that she's really smart to begin with! Good job Kiera and mommy.

Brigham said...

There wasn't a Jasmine sticker on our book--yours is way better.

Heidi said...

That's amazing!

KerianndJacob said...

I tried finding this book at the library when you told me about it, no luck! I'm too cheap to buy it, it's expensive. Maybe when Kiera is done she can teach Jameson!

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

We used the same book!! My daughter Lily was reading at 3, Jackson started to "get it" at age 4, and now he is reading AWESOME and starts kindergarten in the fall. Porter can do sounds and letters at age 2... the reading will come soon!! I love this book, and have bought many copies for friends who are/were in SHOCK when they heard my 4 year old reading and understanding BIG kids books. She is in 1st grade, but goes to reading group at school with the 5th graders!