Monday, March 15, 2010

Punishment for doing the right thing.

When I started my new job I discovered a lot of very important rules that were being broken by both the family that I was assigned to, and the other nurses working for that family. I debated on whether or not I should inform my supervisor. I had been informed that one of these rules (which another nurse was breaking) was grounds for being immediately fired. So, after much debate I decided to inform my supervisor.
At the time I informed her, we discussed the fact that I still needed to have a good relationship with the family that I was working for-- so my supervisor said she would take care of the problem without letting anybody know that I had informed her of the situation.
Today I got a phone call from my employer. My patient's mom doesn't want me to come back again ever (just 3 days ago she told me that I was her and her son's favorite nurse). The person who called me acknowledged that is was because she found out that I had turned her and the other nurses in.
So where does that leave me? Without a job. They are working on finding me another patient, but the hours would be during the day instead of at night so I'd need to get a babysitter and I'd be away from my girls, and I'll also have less hours. Meanwhile, the nurses who broke the rules still has their jobs.
If you can't tell, I'm a little frustrated.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That stinks. The system does seem to favor those who break the rules, and hurts those who try to follow the rules.

Several times I've been asked to do "anonymous" peer reviews, supposedly guaranteed to be anonymous... yet they require you to log in to some computer system to do the reviews. The first time I did one, I naively thought that it would be anonymous. Not so. Fortunately I didn't put anything that would reflect bad on anyone, but others did, and people found out. It wasn't fun. Since then, I always just fill out the bare minimum on the forms, ranking everyone the exact same. Which is too bad because there are some people that really don't deserve a good ranking at all.

Ashley said...

Ah man. That is just the worst. So sorry Cambrie, I know that was a good situation for you.

Erika said...

Bum-mer! Sorry to hear that. At least you know you did the right thing. I know another job will turn up, that was even better than this one. :)

Gramps said...

You did good. I'm proud of ya.

Nebraska Nelsons said...

That is so frustrating! I'm so sorry - especially because it seemed so ideal! Hang in there, you will be blessed. marielle

Erica said...

The world is lacking in integrity these days, but I am so glad it still exists in you. Something good will turn up. At least you were true to yourself and what you knew was right.

Heidi said...

If it's not 'breaking any protocol' I'd call the family and just "apologize" for any wrong doing (even though you know you didn't do anything wrong). And then they just might be totally surprized that you were let go. Maybe their eyes will be opened to what those other nurses are doing.

Marilyn said...

Things that look bad for us at the time of the occurrence often turn into blessings. The Lord will bless you for doing the right thing...even if it doesn't feel like a blessing now. I'm happy that you maintain your integrity.

Lindy said...

That is so frustrating, but you will come out conqueror.