Monday, May 12, 2008

The Guinea Pig

In 3 more days I will be 24 weeks pregnant and I still have my feeding tube. No other pregnant woman in recorded history has had a feeding tube this long so nobody quite knows what to expect as my baby grows (all of my doctors have different theories). Everyone has been waiting for week 24 because it is when my baby supposedly reaches the level of my tube in my abdomen. So, will Cambrie spontaneously combust in 3 days,? will my feeding tube become very uncomfortable from a baby pushing/kicking against it? Will it kink off and become un-usable? Will it rip through tissue as my stomach is pushed upward by baby? Or will everything be fine? Stay tuned for the outcome of my guinea pig pregnancy.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

This should be interesting!!!! I am interested to see what happens!

Keep us updated!

When is your due date?

Unknown said...

Cambrie, you've got an outie. Just thought I'd let you know.

And I really hope you get to keep your feeding tube and keep eating too.

Marilyn said...

So, how does it feel to be a pioneer!

Malesa said...

You scare me kiddo. I'm sure you are enjoying all of your little baby wiggles and kicks. Is she doing somersaults?

Debbie said...

My guess...the baby will come out wanting to suck a straw rather than nurse.

megan said...

First off, those pictures are adorable!!! They all turned out so, so cute!!! And second, that's pretty cool that you are the guinea pig! You're famous! :) I hope you are feeling pretty good!

Nebraska Nelsons said...

Dr. Nelson will way in on this. Your stomach is now attached to the anterior portion of your abdominal wall. Due to adhesions from the tube, even if the tube comes out, the stomach is and will be stuck to the abdominal wall. The uterus more than likely will grow under and push up on the small intestine and the stomach. If anything, it will cause the you to fill up faster, but I doubt that it will cause the tube to obstruct or the stomach to be pulled away from the abdominal wall. It could happen but it would be extremely unusual. If it did it though, you would know it and would need an operation to fix it, but again, I highly doubt that it will happen. They did put the tube in very low, they should have made it exit the LUQ as opposed to near the belly button. Poor planning by the GI docs. But that is what you get with medical physicians doing things instead of surgeons. But I will leave Matt to comment on that.