Tuesday, May 27, 2008

notes on Nursery

We dropped Kiera off in Nursery for the full 2 hours for the first time on sunday. We've taken her in for a few minutes at a time (and stayed with her) before, and she loved it. Steve dropped her off and I went to check on her about 40 mins later. Even after I arrived and stayed to play she was crying-- she just wanted out of there! I hear that the best way for them to get used to it is just to tell them you're leaving, that you'll be back, and then leave dispite protests so I guess that is my plan. It's just hard (for me, Kiera, and the nursery leader too!) It is difficult for me to surrender my daughter to nursery for a few other reasons too:

1. Germs-- As predicted, Kiera woke up sick monday morning. I guess that that's life though and she'll get the germs eventually anyway.

2. Candy-- don't give my 1-year old candy! Espcially not gummy bears or skittles on which she could choke!

3. I am no longer the sole influence on her little life. As I was sitting in nursery trying to play with Kiera I overheard one of the nursery leaders telling a 2-year old "just wait until your parents come-- you are going to be in trouble. They are going to be mad at you and yell at you. Just wait till they come." I don't want anyone ever telling my daughter that! I don't care what she is done, I'm not going to yell at her and I certainly don't want her to dread my coming!

It almost makes me want to be a nursery leader myself so I can protect my little sweet daughter from everything..... but then I realize that I can't go to kindergarten through college with her. I guess it is time I just let her grow up. I'm just not ready to give up my baby!

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Not only that, five more months until Eli gets in there and then everyone will REALLY have something to be afraid of.

Oh, and I bet you live to regret making the fact that you want to be a nursery leader public...

Andy & Jen said...

you can have andy's spot in nursery...he's more than willing to give it up!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that comment by the nursery leader was way uncalled for. She should be talked to. Kids should NOT be threatened like that! if the kid is misbehaving bad enough to be reprimanded should be taken to the parent, not threatened.

Malesa said...

You are brave to ask for the nursery calling. I had my fill of primary with the CTR 5/6 class. I hear you on the germs and candy thing though. I think I'm just not going to send Aubrey until I'M ready, which will probably be after she is too old to go to nursery.

Maybe the nursery worker didn't say the best thing, but I can't really judge because sometimes you are so frazzled, you go into survival mode and try anything you can think of. However, you just don't realize what you've said is the wrong thing to be saying.

Ali said...

I agree and will you please email or call me and tell me who said that? I have already been a bit leery because of the candy thing. I didn't know it was a regular thing! I thought it was just one week they were kind of bribing them to behave. Anyway, let me know who said it b/c it is totally inappropriate and needs to be dealt with, and I am a good "dealer"... ha, ha.

Nebraska Nelsons said...

WE had a nursery leader that I worried a little about, and I slyly campaigned to release her. You need nursery leaders who care, not scare! Damon is struggling too, he will play in there if Scott is with him, but does not stop crying if he is not - no matter how long we leave him! Ah, joy! We have had children who actually enjoy it, but not at first, and not if there is a bad leader. Good luck! Marielle

Johanson family said...

I am really surprised about all of your complaints. I can't believe for one thing that the nursery leader said that. She should have taken the kid to their parents if they were really being that big of a problem. And besides that I am surprised that they give out candy. In our nursery they give cereal, pretzels, raisins, and stuff like that. The germs are a hard thing to get over, but like you said that is life and she will probably build up more immunity from being around them a little. My boys both loved nursery from pretty much the beginning, but I think it has a lot to do with the nursery leaders and my boys personalities.

Anonymous said...

Here's my nursery notes to live by

1. I like to take my kid to nursery wrapped in saran wrap from head to toe and also have them wear a surgical mask. No germ is getting through this!

2. I give him a long piece of french bread to munch on the whole time. It's got plenty of carbohydrates and tastes great. Much better than the skittles that are currently being "dealt" under the table in nursery.

3. I arrive 45 minutes prior to church every sunday to place a nanny cam somewhere in the room where no one will find it. This way while I'm in relief society, i can know what goes on every minute. You wouldn't believe what i see when those doors are closed! All kinds of horseplay and the likes. These kids are crazy! Also i set up a small recorder that has a direct feed into the bishop's office just in case anything REALLY bad happens like someone sneezing on my kid.

4. Give the leaders a break. They don't ask for these callings and they are probably trying their best. they don't get anything spiritual out of church looking after the kids while everyone else is being nourished.